The authorization of the electric Trikke is not yet fully covered in all European countries. Since the European commission did not categorize the electric Trikke yet, authorization depends on the law of each individual country.
However last years, an increasing number of EU countries accepted the Electric Trikke on the public roads.
Since August 25th 2011, next countries allow the electric Trikke:
- Austria - as E-bike max speed 25km/h
- Belgium - as mobility vehicle max 18km/h - basic liability insurance obliged
- Netherlands - as special moped max 25km/h - basic liability insurance obliged
- Poland - as E-bike max speed 25km/h and max 250W motor
- Sweden - as E-bike max speed 20km/h
- Italy - as E-bike max speed 25km/h and max 250W motor
- In France as well as in Spain and several other countries, the daily practice shows the acceptance of the Trikke as long as it has insurance for ‘basic liability’.
The obligation for insurance of the Trikke for use on public roads, depends on local legislation. Please get informed by your local Trikke dealer or Trikke Europe.
Trikke Europe is spending a lot of efforts to get the Electric Trikke authorized all around Europe. On the 20th November 2012 the new EU type-approval rules where voted on and the electric Trikke is exempt from type-approval as a vehicle not equipped with at least one seating position.